This program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
Offered in Midland, Michigan
Adult Degree Programs
Would you mind grabbing us a glass of ice water?
If you got up and brought back some water, thanks. You’re very kind. If you asked, “Crushed or cubed?” then returned with a glass, an accompanying pitcher of water and fresh blueberry muffins, you’ve landed on the right page. Northwood’s Hospitality program is designed to harness your inner sense of hospitality and turn it into a personally satisfying and financially rewarding career.
Pursuing a career in “hospitality” has many meanings, and the demand for leaders who understand how this multifaceted industry works is clear (since it’s the largest business activity in the world). Whether your dream is to manage a large hotel chain, lead a kitchen crew, plan major events, have an office that sails around the world on a cruise ship or have your name on the front of your own bed & breakfast, you have a lot of options. Your passion for people combined with the business savvy you acquire from Northwood is the perfect recipe for success.
“I am one of the co-founders and President of Jet’s Pizza, the 18th largest pizza chain in America. I wanted my kids to be successful, and after researching and hearing from Northwood alumni, I decided Northwood University would be the best place for them to achieve success. Based on their experiences thus far, my wife and I decided this was the best investment, and we are very proud of our children. We feel that Northwood University has prepared them to enter the business world with a wealth of knowledge and high achievements.”
~ Eugene Jetts • Co-founder & President of Jet’s Pizza • Parent of Northwood University students
Learn more about the Stafford Dinner
A Degree That Works
Below is a partial list of the many places you’ll find our students at work:
- AVID Sportswear
- Catawba Island Club
- Chef Master USA
- ConocoPhillips Company
- Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
- Lansing Lugnuts
- Marriott Corporation
- McCormick & Schmicks Seafood Restaurants, Inc.
- Norwegian Cruise Line
- Paxahau Event Productions
- PGA National Golf Club
- PSC Entertainment Limited
- Stanley Hotel
- The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company
- TGI Fridays
- Toledo Zoo
- Walt Disney World Resort
- Wynn Resorts Ltd.
Education in Action
- You will take excursions that expose you to the real workings of the industry, allowing you to network with key business leaders.
- Michigan campus students will take part in the annual Stafford Dinner. This elegant, five-course dinner is planned, prepared and presented entirely by the students to raise scholarship money. From creative concept development to menu design, marketing and promotions to financial planning, securing guest speakers to kitchen management – and everything in between – students experience the entire spectrum of event management and presentation. The event takes an entire year of planning.
- In addition, each October, students from all majors organize and present the Northwood University International Auto Show (NUIAS), located in Midland, Michigan. It’s the largest outdoor auto show in the United States and is completely student run. Hospitality students set up and run a food business during the show, which is available to nearly 50,000 guests.
- Our N.A.D.A. Hotel & Conference Center is located on the Michigan campus and allows Hospitality students to learn management while practicing management in a real-world business environment.
- We seek input from alumni and other industry experts throughout the year to make certain we are teaching the information students need to be successful. We bring our expert faculty together to discuss content and teaching practices – faculty with robust subject matter expertise.
- Two practicums and an internship help you gain experience and network.
- Businesses come to campus to interview students throughout the year, and two large career fairs are also held on campus annually. These opportunities put you in a better position to obtain employment after graduation.
Take six courses that double as industry certification, including:
- Facilities Engineering
- Food and Beverage Management
- Club Management
- Human Resource Management